The Shearwater NERD is a full decompression dive computer incorporating the functionality of the Shearwater Research Perdix AI, but with a display mounted on the diver's regulator second stage. This revolutionary device keeps crucial information in your line-of-sight for the entire dive.
Thanks to the Micro LCD display and magnifying lens, the data appears as if displayed on a 32" TV screen 12" away, with no need to focus. If you can watch a TV without glasses, and even if you have a bifocal lens mask for reading gauges, you should have no problem seeing the NERD 2. The display is unobtrusive as it virtually disappears when you look straight ahead. The numbers are there when you need them at any point during the dive, and out of the way when you don't. The full-colour display is used to convey additional meaning with the information being displayed. When information is yellow or red, it calls the diver's attention to an unusual value or problem.
During a decompression dive, the Shearwater NERD 2 provides complete information displays of all required stop times. The NERD 2 can provide time-to-surface based on "look ahead" at planned gas switches. Multiple gas definition presets are supported with any combination of oxygen, nitrogen and helium.
The Shearwater NERD 2 will NOT "lockout" after a missed stop or ascent rate violation.
Out of the box, the Shearwater NERD 2 includes open-circuit and closed-circuit Air, Nitrox and Trimix mixed gas functionality along with several enhanced navigation features for the three-axis tilt-compensated digital compass. The standard firmware supports English language menus and both imperial/metric units of measure.
The Shearwater NERD 2 is capable of wirelessly connecting to either one or two optional transmitters giving the diver ability to monitor up to two tank pressures. Air integration is optional for all modes, from OC Rec to CC/BO. The tank pressure(s), in PSI or BAR, and GTR can be displayed to the customisable slots on the main display screen or accessed through the underlying information screens. Enabling the AI feature causes approximately 10% decrease in battery life.
Shearwater Research NERD 2 Stand Alone Features
- Technical dive computer with a "Heads Up Display"
- Crucial data in your line-of-sight for the entire dive
- Full colour display with magnifying lens is easy to read
- Air, Nitrox and Trimix mixed gas for OC or CCR
- Feature rich with the latest diving technology
Recreational Open-Circuit Features:
In addition, technical diving modes, key features of the Recreational Open-Circuit mode (aka Recreational Nitrox mode) include a simpler menu structure, less cluttered display with a larger font and configurable bottom row, optional safety stops, and a no-decompression limit dive planner. The simplified settings allow for three breathing gas mixtures (Air or Nitrox) and place a greater emphasis on the maximum operating depth (MOD) and no decompression time limit (NDL). The display prominently warns the diver if their depth is near, at or exceeds the MOD of the selected breathing gas. The diver also simply selects one of three levels of NDL conservatism and during the dive, a bar graph turns from green to red as the diver approaches the NDL. An optional 3-minute countdown safety stop starts when the diver reaches shallower than 6 metres (20 feet) on the ascent. If the diver exceeds the NDL and requires stops, the display turns red and warns "DECO STOP" with the mandatory depth and stop times.
Shearwater Research NERD 2 SA Technical Features
- Depth, time and oxygen
- sensor display
- Bühlmann decompression model with gradient factors conservatism
- Optional VPM-B decompression model
- Imperial and metric displays
- NERD 2 available in Standalone, Fischer and DiveCAN models
- Any combination of oxygen, nitrogen, and helium (Air, Nitrox, Trimix)
- Open and closed circuit, switchable during a dive
- External (EXT) PPO2 monitoring from 1, 2 or 3 cells
- Internal PPO2 mode with 2 set-points
- Automatic PPO2 set-point switching (configurable)
- 5 CC and 5 OC gases
- Gases can be changed and added during a dive CNS tracking
- No lockout from violating deco stops
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery providing up to 18 hours of dive time
- Tilt compensated digital compass
- 1000 hour dive log memory
- Log downloads and firmware upgrades using Bluetooth
- A menu system that adapts to diving status
- Dual-transmitter Air integration
- Auto turn-off after 15 minutes on the surface
- Depth sensor rated to 140 msw (450 fsw)