This course is for divers wishing to utilize a Closed Circuit Rebreather (CCR) for mixed gas diving using a Helitrox Diluent. The objective of the course is to train divers in the benefits, hazards and proper procedures for diving a CCR and to develop basic CCR diving skills, to a maximum of 40 metres/150 feet, using an air/nitrox/helium diluent for formal decompression diving. Students are permitted to utilize a diluent and bailout mix with no greater than a 20% helium content and no less than a 21% oxygen content and are permitted to use up to 100% oxygen for decompression.
Our instructor is an Advanced Mixed Gas CCR diver with experience diving deeper than 130 meters. He is a passionate rebreather instructor with an emphasis on doing the small things well.
Why upgrade to Helitrox?
While you can still do a course to certify you to 55m on air (we even offer it), the diving community has generally shunned this practice as the availability and acceptance of trimix has become almost universal. Adding some helium to your bottom mix lowers your Equivalent Narcotic Depth (END) which reduces the amount of Nitrogen Narcosis you experience at a given depth. This, in turn, increases your safety as your reaction times, situational awareness, decision-making ability, and cognitive ability are less affected. The other benefit of a little helium is that it also lowers your gas density, making it easier and more efficient to breathe at depth. If you're in a cave environment and want to dive below 40m, then Trimix is mandatory by most training agencies worldwide.
PREREQUISITES TO PARTICIPATION:
- You must be certified as Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures.
- You must have at least 50 dives logged with at least 10 deeper than 30m and 10 in the last 12 months.
- You must complete a diving medical questionnaire
- Two online theory courses via E-Learning
- A comprehensive dive planning theory session in class
- A comprehensive equipment configuration and dry drills session
- Minimum 8 dives with at least 2 deeper than 30m and two requiring mandatory decompression.
- All dive site entry permits
- All Gases required for the course.
- Certification as a TDI PRISM 2-CCR Helitrox deco diver (on graduation)
- Any equipment hire. All equipment is available for hire